Buying a whiteboard seems simple enough. Each design looks similar and serves the same purpose. But if they all seem to do the same thing, how do select one?
Sure, every whiteboard lets you jot down and erase notes and ideas quickly in a home office, conference room, classroom, and anywhere productivity and brainstorming reigns. Still, there are differences in features and materials, and whiteboards vary in quality. Knowing the differences ensures you have the best whiteboard for your needs.
As a home office designer, I use a whiteboard / dry-erase board regularly and have done heavy research on the range of models in the market. I then created an article covering the types of designs out today and their benefits. Now it’s time to list my top 6 best whiteboards of 2024.
Please note that some designs may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate, I may receive a commission for recommendations or purchases made through links on my website without any extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer.
Best Quality: Quartet Magnetic Glass Dry Erase White Board
Best Budget Whiteboard: U Brands Dry Erase Board
Best Interactive Whiteboard: Smart Board Collaboration Hub
Best Portable Room Divider: Flash Furniture Raisley Mobile Magnetic Whiteboard
Best Desk Mat Whiteboard: Murrey Home Store Glass Desk Mat
Best Whiteboard Notebook: Rocketbook Notebooks and Planners
How I Selected This List
I referenced my article on the different types of whiteboards/dry erase boards on the market today and narrowed them down to my top 5, prioritizing features like:
- Additional capabilities
Note: You will notice that dry erase wall paint or whiteboard paper are not listed here. I lay out reasons for this toward the end of this article.
Before You Shop…
Here are traits to prioritize:
- Size: Do you need just a specific size to work with your desk or room?
- Functionality: Will you store items on the board with magnets? Will it sit on a wall or be on a desk? Will it need to move around a room?
- Look: Is there an ideal color you want? A preferred frame?
6 Best Whiteboard Designs for 2024
Here are the best dry erase boards for home offices this year.
If you are looking for a highly durable board that stands the test of time, a glass whiteboard is the best choice. As a dry erase option, it is the most durable, lasts the longest, is easiest to clean, and never ghosts or stains.
Quartet is a leading provider of dry erase boards, and their glass boards stand out. The company offers six styles, including framed and frameless designs. The one here features a wall-mounted, screwable metal design. You also get a range of colors. The link with the product above shows a frosted, white, and black option. Still, you can also choose from other colors and limited-edition options on the Quartet website.
- Size: Six sizes ranging from 2 to 8 feet wide
- Colors: Black, white, and frosted (more options on the Quartet website.)
- Frame: Six framed options, including frameless designs.
- Accessories: Removable accessory tray, 1 marker, 2 high power glass board magnets
- Magnetic design
- The most durable material for a dry erase board
- A highly scratch-resistant design
- A quality manufacturer
- A broad range of colors and styles
- The magnets are less powerful on glass than on other board material options.
- The mounting requirements limit mobility usage.
Best Budget Whiteboard
If you want a quality board at a low price, this is the whiteboard for you. U-Brands is a California-based company offering various sizes, colors, and boards with varying functionalities, such as magnetic designs, calendar designs, and even traditional linen bulletin boards. All the boards are well-priced and yet highly durable and effective at preventing stains and ghosting.
The classic whiteboard shown above features an attractive frame and comes in two size options: 20″ x 30″ or 30″ x 40″, but you are not limited to that option. The company offers a full range of other styles and sizes. You can also purchase this board with accessories such as markers and erasers.
The boards aren’t movable, but you have a quality board when you need it.
- Size: 20″ x 30″ or 30″ x 40″, and comes in a variety of sizes on the U-Brands link above.
- Colors: A wide range of frame colors on the link.
- Material: Unlisted
- Magnetic dry erase boards
- An affordable board without compromising on durability and stain resistance
- Two sizes and a broad range of other styles from the same brand
- US-based (California)
The mounting requirements prevent this from being a portable option
Best Interactive Whiteboard
If you want to take remote collaboration to the highest level, this is the option for you. Smart Board makes a range of digital whiteboard products, and this one is the cream of the crop.
This digital, touchscreen whiteboard is known for offering one of the best writing experiences for a smart board, offering a quick, sensitive reaction while writing. It even has a magnetic surface. You can instantly erase content and delete boards for easier, faster concepting. All ideas can be stored and re-accessed. No more having to erase them permanently! Use the QR code on the screen to instantly save all those genius ideas. But these benefits are only the beginning.
This is more than just an electronic whiteboard. It is more-or-less a Windows computer. You can use your existing Android apps to do a wide range of functions. This includes remote real-time collaborations and video conferencing ability with today’s popular video meeting tools (Zoom, Google Meet, etc.). You can also mark up electronic documents on the screen and insert tables.
Up to four people can collaborate on the board.
This is a whiteboard on steroids. It is pricey (close to $3K), but you won’t find a better collaboration tool.
- Size: 65-inch screen
- Built-in camera and speakers
- Compatible with video conferencing with Zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, Webex, and other video conferencing tools
- Smart-touch enabled
- Remote collaboration capability
- Android 11.0, 4GB RAM + 32GB ROM
- Works with existing apps
- Windows OS(9th generation 9300H OPS computer)
- 8GB RAM
- 128GB SSD
- Magnetic surface
- Windows10 Intel i5 CPU)makes JYXOIHUB
- Comes with:
- 1*Smart Whiteboard
- 1*Wall Mount
- 1*Ordinary Stylus
- 1*Magnetic Stylus
- 1*Remote Control, 1*English Instruction
- Colors: Light gray frame
- Warranty: 1*Warranty Card, 1*Certificate
- Fast and easy writing and deleting
- Store all data via the QR code
- Video conferencing ability on all popular video platforms
- Document markup and table insertions
- Compatible with four users at a time
By far the highest-priced whiteboard on the list, though its features explain why.
Best Portable Room Divider
If your workspace is in a shared space at home, such as a living room or family room, this modular solution gives you the privacy you need while offering ample white space for capturing your ideas. It can be positioned in an accordion style or flat for an ultra-clean look and features casters that lock. The magnetic surface allows you to store papers and other work materials with little fuss. When it isn’t needed, you can fold it tightly, roll it inside a closet, or set it to one side and use just one panel for a clear daily experience. This whiteboard comes in two color options: white and gray.
The narrow panels don’t allow for writing horizontally without frequently breaking up the content. Still, the panels are very tall, allowing more vertical writing room than most other boards. This means your kids can get in on the fun.
- Size: 72″H x 72″W x 14″D when positioned flat
- Material: plastic and acrylic with aluminum frame
- Warranty: 1 year
- Doubles as a room divider
- Folds into compact format that can be stored inside a closet or along a wall
- High vertical writing area
- Wheels for easy maneuvering
The vertical design doesn’t allow for a wide writing area without breaking up the content.
Best Desk Mat Whiteboard
There are quite a few dry-erase board designs made to sit on a desk. Examples include standing picture frame styles and low, angled, keyboard-like designs. This design is the easiest to use, gives you room for writing, and offers the cleanest appearance on your desk. Even though it is glass, you can still operate your mouse on it effectively. Unlike paper versions of desk pads, you never have to worry about ripping out a page or using up paper. The glass design is an eco choice for ongoing note-taking.
Go extra clean with clear glass, or use the translucent design for more contrast with your writing. Both options have a soft edge to prevent injury, and the glass is anti-static, which means no dust! Rubber feet help them stay put. No more sliding desk mats!
- Size: 20″ x 36″
- Material: tempered glass
- Colors: Clear or translucent
- Frame: Soft glass edge
- Accessories: None
- A clean, minimalist look
- Highly durable and stain-resistant glass
- The largest whiteboard option for a desk
- Anti-static (no dust)
No color options
Best Whiteboard Notebook
In the world of notebooks, there are electronic note taking tablets and notebooks that work more directly like true pen and paper. For the most direct experience that is still highly erasable, the Rocketbook is an easy answer. It works like a traditional whiteboard by allowing you to write on the pages and then wipe the contents away. (The company makes standard whiteboards too.)
The books are different from a whiteboard in that the ink itself doesn’t truly leave, just the black color, making it appear like the ink has disappeared. It is a pretty nifty notebook. The erasable ink pen works on regular paper, too.
The company offers various sizes and styles, such as notebooks, binder pages, and productivity planners that include calendar pages, to-do reminder pages, and evaluation pages. The number of pages in each book and planner is limited when compared to other notebooks and planners. Still, Rocketbook includes a QR code on each page to help you scan each page and record a pic of your page permanently so that you can erase and write more notes.
The only drawback comes over time. The writing becomes slightly messy after prolonged use because you are writing on top of your previous ink – not a completely clean surface. This issue has prevented me from using it as my sole notebook. However, it is still a handy solution for working out ideas.
- 3.5″ x 5.5″
- 6″ x 8.8″
- 8.5″ x 11″
- Colors: black, gray, red, blue, green, turquoise
- Endless note-taking
- Prevents use of paper
- Many notebook and planner design options
Writing becomes messy over time due to writing over prior ink
What Not Dry Erase Wall Paint or Whiteboard Paper?
They sound ideal but aren’t worth the trouble. The only exception is if the whiteboard paper is adhered to an ultra-flat surface like a chalkboard. Here are reasons to avoid these options:
Issues with Dry Erase Wall Paint
- Takes a long time to cure, 4 to 30 days in some cases
- The smell while curing is intense, making it a less-than-healthy option
- Your wall will need to be perfectly smooth and flat for the best writing performance
- The ink doesn’t come off well, leading to smudging.
Issues With Erase Whiteboard Paper
- This option is difficult to put up, often requiring a professional.
- It easily waves, bumps, creases, and bubbles, sometimes days after installation.
- It doesn’t match the clean overall appearance of pre-made boards.
And there you have it: my guide to the best whiteboard options out today. You have a range of choices to suit your way of working. At the same time, each offers the same note-taking and idea-generation capabilities you need!